Friday 20 May 2011

HATE TO ADMIT IT: THE KING'S SPEECH ****


"Sat on the shelf for way too long, almost sent back to Lovefilm because I never thought I would be 'in the mood', The King's Speech was finally aired this evening after glowing reviews from every bloody sod that had seen it. How I hoped that they were wrong. How I prayed to be left speechless for all the wrong reasons...

Tom Hooper's movie (from out of nowhere, it has to be reminded) follows Bertie (Colin Firth, a name that usually makes me reach for the eject button), who has suffered from a debilitating speech impediment all his life, and is suddenly crowned King George VI of the United Kingdom after the scandalous abdication of that bloke from Memento (2000), Mike from Neighbours, and the one who gets blown up at the beginning in The Hurt Locker (2008). He was born in England, don't you know... underated. That's all I'm saying.

I need say little about this movie though, other than it's truly astonishing how such a premise can have you on the edge of your seat (think Rocky Balboa about to face Apollo Creed). Okay, so it's not that thrilling, and other than a rainy sunday afternoon, I'm not sure when I'd crack this little gem from its casing, but nonetheless, it's still oddly exhilarating stuff. Geoffrey Rush is the star of the show, with Firth a close second, but what with the recent Royal Wedding managing to also hold my interest, I'm either getting old, or I need to watch Big Tits Zombie (2010) again."

No comments:

Post a Comment